Skip to main content

Fear Thy Neighbour - Horror Short Story

Fear Thy Neighbour


by Dipayan Chatterjee


There's a good chance that you won't believe what I am about to tell you. Had I not experienced it personally I wouldn't have believed it either. But now that I have, it will haunt me for life. It's the type of stuff you read on the internet or watch on shows on Investigation Discovery. But you never think this can actually happen to you.

Let me start from the beginning. It was already a long tiring day & the only thing I needed was a good night's sleep. I guess I should tell you that I live in small trashy apartment in a really old building. It's one of those buildings that you never want to live in. Most of the apartments in the building are abandoned and only a handful of tenants are left. Then why do I stay here?

I am stuck in a sucky ass job and buried neck deep in student debt. So this is the only accomodation I could afford in the city. Still it was home. I don't know most of my neighbours & I never bothered to...except for the family who live in the apartment right next to mine.

As I returned home exhausted from work on that fateful night, I went straight for my bed. It was just one of those nights when the silent darkness seems like the perfect lover.

Almost with a jolt I woke up in the middle of the night. I felt my head was going to explode with the weird loud banging sound that was coming from next door. It seemed as if someone was hitting a nail with a heavy hammer into the common wall that both the apartments shared.

2:39 am...the digital clock blinked. Why the fuck would anyone make that horrendous noise at this hour? Although I should tell you that the folks living next door were kind of weird to begin with.
The husband & his pregnant wife seemed to fight every night and their loud arguements had kept me awake many nights in the past. Their arguments sometimes became so aggresive that I had to intervene to calm them down. But they seldom listened to me. Their fights continued every other night and it was mostly about typical family issues.
As the loud banging sound started again on the common wall beside my bed, I decided it was time for me to take charge & shut them up for good. I work my ass off all day & by God I deserve a good night's sleep. I wanted to make sure they knew it. And that was perhaps my biggest mistake.

As I walked out of my room and into the empty damp dimly lit corridor, an eerie silence prevailed all around.
I slowly walked over to their door and knocked on it. As I waited there for the door to open I thought of how & what I was going to say to sound assertive. But I stood there for what seemed like forever waiting for a response. For a brief second I wondered if I should return back to my apartment & just go back to sleep. This was just too weird for me. And the fact was that horrible sound had also stopped by then. But just as I was about to walk away, the door slowly creaked open with the slightest gap.

Instantly a chill ran down my spine out of nowhere. A gust of stenchy warm air came out and hit my nose like a truck. The stink was unbearable as if something had been dead inside for decades. As I peeked inside through the gap, darkness as black as death itself peeked back at me. I felt this deep rooted terror inside me that something more horrible than death was going to happen to me. Everything inside me begged me to run away that instant.

But for God knows what reason I stood there in horror, scanning the darkness inside with my rapidly moving eyes. But it seemed there was no one inside, just pitch black darkness. Suddenly I felt this shock inside me with my heart pulsating almost out of my chest. It was then I noticed him peeking from behind the slightly open door, perfectly hidden in the darkness.

It was my neighbour's 8 year old kid. Although I could only see part of his face in the darkness but something seemed really weird right away. The terror I felt inside me kept growing exponentially. The way he stood & the way he looked at me screamed that something was terribly wrong, even though I could only see his face partially. It seemed that the rest of his body was hidden safely behind the door. Still I just couldn't get over the way his head was tilted at an abnormal angle as he kept staring at me with cold blank eyes.
Trying hard to get a grip on my fear, I managed to speak out. But I couldn't sound as assertive as I wanted to. My trembling voice revealed my growing fear.

I asked him about his father & what was making that horrible noise in the dead of the night. But he just stood there without even uttering a single word in response. His expressionless face & souless eyes were starting to teach me a whole new meaning of fear. It was then it struck me. What the hell is an 8 year old kid doing staying awake at almost 3am?

I spoke again, "Call your father...I need to speak to him," this time a little more demandingly. But he just stood there in the exact same position with his head slightly tilted. I asked again. But again there was no response. Getting tired of his mindless shenanigans, I called out his father's name hoping he would finally respond. But there was nothing...except silence & darkness.

I asked the kid again "Call your father...NOW!" But he just kept looking at me without even flinching once. Then I noticed something on his face. Why didn't I see this before? As my eyes adjusted to the surrounding darkness, I finally saw it. Blood. Dry dark blood all around his neck.

As his head tilted further I felt my heart skip a beat. And that's when IT happened. It fell down & rolled upto my feet. His head...his severed head fell down on the floor and rolled up to my feet leaving a trail of black gooey pulp from the darkness inside.

I stood still in shock staring in disbelief at the small chopped off head resting near my feet. His expressionless face & dead eyes still staring at me the exact same way. Instinctively I looked up at the door. For a brief second I saw what I thought was the pale face of his mother right behind the door. But before I could understand anything the door slammed shut faster than I blinked.

Needless to say I ran harriedly to my room, grabbed my smartphone & called the cops.
I spent the next few days mostly in the police station being the prime witness to the incident. I was repeatedly interviewed by the cops about what exactly happened. Even though I told them the same thing everytime, they found it hard to believe me. I suppose initially they considered me a suspect but after a thorough investigation they finally managed to find out what exactly happened in that apartment.

Every member of the family was murdered 3 days before I discovered the severed head, including the unborn child of the pregnant woman. Apparently, a serial killer has been terrorising the city since the past few months. The police believed that the maniacal killer had targeted the family & somehow managed to enter my neighbour's apartment unnoticed. As our building is mostly abandoned, it was not a difficult task. Police investigations revealed that the killer caught the family by surprise & very effectively killed off the husband, wife & their 8 year old child. He then went on to chop off their limbs & their heads. What was even shocking was that the killer tore off the pregnant woman's womb and killed the unborn child.

After I called the cops that night, the investigating officers had to break open the door to enter the apartment. As soon as the cops entered they found that the room was littered with chopped limbs & severed heads. The common wall which both the apartments shared was covered with dark blood as if someone was trying to paint the wall.

But what struck me most was that the cops claimed the killer immediately left the apartment right after he was done with the murders. They said usually there is no reason for a killer to hang back at the crime scene after they are done & that too for 3 days. In fact, the very next day they found other victims in another part of the city who were killed with the same modus operandi...chopped limbs & severed heads. They believed it was the same killer. Hence, there was no reason for him to return to the previous crime scene.
Understandably I was pretty shocked with this piece of information. Then who was inside that apartmemt that night? The cops told me the investigation was still on & they would solve the case soon. But I refused to accept that. It did not answer any of the questions that were haunting me since that night.

Who was in that god forsaken apartment that night? Who was making that weird banging noise? What was that sound? Who opened the door? Who was holding up that severed head of the boy? Who slammed the door shut at my face? Wait...was anyone holding up the kid's head or was it up there by itself? Or was it the mother whose face I saw for a brief moment before the door closed? But the mother was also murdered. Then how did I see her standing there like that? Was she even standing or was it just her decapitated head? Were they trying to make contact with me? Were they trying to tell me that their family was brutally murdered?

I was beyond scared at that point. Nothing made sense. I couldn't find any answers for my questions. Hundreds of weird thoughts started circulating my mind. I even wondered if the decapitated heads were hitting themselves on the common wall to create that banging sound...all just to make me discover the horrible fate that befell on their family. I was terrified even to think that what if that was the truth. But then why after 3 days?

I was losing my mind. I had to go back to my antidepressant pills just to calm down my nerves. I decided to move from this apartment as soon as possible. So I quit my job & arranged to relocate to my hometown.
Tonight is my last night in this apartment. I feel utterly cringed even to realise I have to spend one more night in this hellish building. I tried to get some sleep as I felt exhausted by overthinking about the whole ordeal.
Almost with a jolt I wake up in the middle of the night. 2:39 am...I see the digital clock blinking. I feel my heart pounding with terror at every beat. There is a weird banging sound at the common wall that I share with my late neigbour's apartment. It's that exact same sound...all over again. Tears roll down my eyes as I try to contain my fear. I remember something. The killer tore off the pregnant woman's stomach & killed the unborn child. I realise something. The cops never found the corpse of the unborn child. It's...still...there!

End.

 Copyright © 2016 Dark Dreams – Damn Comics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indian Gods

Lord Shiva Lord Rama Lord Buddha Lord Ganesha Om Shri Ganeshaya Namah Joy Baba Loknath Lord Kartikeya Goddess Saraswati Goddess Durga Goddess Lakshmi

WIFEY - A Short Thriller Comics by Dipayan Chatterjee

Page 1 - Wifey - Thriller Comics Page 2 - Wifey - Thriller Comics Page 3 - Wifey - Thriller Comics

Lord Shiva Concept Art - Illustration by Dipayan/Color by Bijaya

Lord Shiva Comics Concept Art